NZ Entry Certification

Under New Zealand law, motor vehicles must meet certain standard and safety requirements before they can be registered for use on New Zealand roads. The process of checking that vehicles meet these requirements is called Entry Certification. Vehicles must undergo Entry Certification when they are imported, or when the vehicle licence has been lapsed for more than one year and the owner wants to begin using it on the road again.

Entry Certification of used vehicles is carried out by Transport Service Delivery Agents (TSDAs), who are contracted to the NZ Transport Agency to provide vehicle certification, registration and licensing services. The major TSDAs are AA, VINZ, & VTNZ.

If structural damage is identified during the Entry Certification process, the vehicle must also undergo Repair Certification to ensure that the vehicle is within safe tolerance of the manufacturer’s original standards after repair.

The NZ Transport Agency requires detailed vehicle records to be maintained for every used entry vehicle in the New Zealand vehicle industry. This includes proof that the structure, systems and components are within safe tolerance of the vehicle manufacturers’ original standards.

Diagnostic checks and reports for electronic control systems, such as Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS) and Anti-lock Braking Systems (ABS), may be required if:

  • the vehicle has previously been involved in an accident,
  • the certifier considers the impact would have had sufficient force to deploy airbags which may have been replaced,
  • there is a fault showing in the system,
  • there may have been suspension damage.

The Repair Certifiers Association (RCA) is helping to develop Vesia and intends to become a nation-wide network of Recognised Repairers to be used by Repair Certifiers.

To become part of Vesia, you must:

  • Employ technicians who are trained and qualified to interrogate and repair automotive electronic control systems,
  • Any technicians named on the application form must have at least 5 years auto electrical experience and be able to pass an assessment test to the satisfaction of the Executive,
  • Have, or have access to, clean and covered premises in which to perform the work,
  • Have scan tools that are compatible with the vehicles being worked on,
  • Upgrade equipment software at least annually or as required,
  • Be prepared to attend training workshops to undertake CPD,
  • Pay the fees applicable to join the association and follow its rules.

Companies will be expected to maintain accurate records and report to the RCA annually or as staff changes occur.

Technicians who are employed by Vesia members will be required to:

  • Confirm that the requisite components are actually present and operational in the vehicle,
  • Introduce and test faults in the system,
  • Clear codes,
  • Perform repairs,
  • File a Declaration of Completed Work for all jobs.

Vesia members will report to the Repair Certifiers, enabling them to complete certification of motor vehicles repair.

Executive Members include: 

Peter Kung

(09) 579 8554

Wayne Frost

(09) 415 5559

To contact your local Vesia member, please email us and we’ll put you in touch with the right person.

Note: A membership fee of $300 (inc GST) applies for membership, valid until March 31st each year. Pro-rata fees apply to members joining mid-term.

Join Vesia

To become a Recognised Repairer, an automotive electrician must apply to the RCA. They are expected to have 5 years of industry experience pass an assessment test. If you are interested in joining Vesia, please contact us for an application pack and access to an approved UNITEC short course.